On 25 Oct 2013, at 15:01, Robert Cummings <rob...@interjinn.com> wrote:

> On 13-10-24 09:41 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:
>> On 10/23/2013 08:51 AM, Jay Blanchard wrote:
>>> [snip] ....a bitter rant....[/snip]
>>>
>>> Dang Larry - bad night?
>>
>> That wasn't a bitter rant.  You haven't seen me bitter. :-)  That was
>> "tough love" to the OP.  I don't see a reason to pussyfoot around the
>> original question, which is one that comes up about once a month.  The
>> answer is always the same: How much is your time worth?
>
> Basic math...
>
>    Life: finite
>    Time: infinite
>
>    finite / infinite = 0
>
> *sniffle*

Who's valuation of your time actually matters? Yours, and yours alone.

Therefore:

Life: n years
Time I can benefit from my life: n years

n years / n years = 1

*hoorah*

Your time is the most precious commodity you have.

Whether you use a framework or not you will (hopefully) reuse code between
projects. If you choose to make part of that reused code one of the many
frameworks that exist, you need only do one thing to ensure it continues to be
worth using: how much of your time do you spend battling against the
restrictions of the framework? If that's sufficiently low then using that
framework is probably a good thing. If a significant portion of your time is
spent battling the framework it's time to make a change.

Also remember that the only person who can truthfully judge whether you're
"wasting time" is you, unless you earn money by selling your time to someone
else in which case they have some right to decide what constitutes a waste of
the time for which they're paying. I found the experience of writing my own
framework to be hugely beneficial to my future productivity, but I might have
struggled to justify spending the extra time it took to my employer at the time.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd