Here is my take on it, cobbled together with the help of a js wizard
friend of mine:

<?php include("config.inc.php"); //config contains database connection
params ?>
<head>
<title>Dynamic Dropdown Menus</title>
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
//array of arrays of <select> options corresponding to
//the values in the static menu.

var menus = new Array();

<?php

//get set of names of level 1 categories

$sql="select parent_cat from site_map where site_level = 1";
$link_id = mysql_connect($host, $usr, $pass) or die (mysql_error());
mysql_select_db($database, $link_id); //select database catalog
$parent_cat_result = mysql_query($sql, $link_id) or die (mysql_error());
//return result set to php
$parent_cat_count = mysql_num_rows($parent_cat_result);

//build a option list for js function
//currently this echoes a number for the menu - must be replaced with
parent cat.

$i=0; //start menus[] at zero

while (list ($current_parent) = mysql_fetch_row ($parent_cat_result))

{

//debug//echo "current parent is $current_parent<br>";

$sql="select link_show, child_cat from site_map where parent_cat =
\"$current_parent\"";
$link_id = mysql_connect($host, $usr, $pass) or die (mysql_error());
mysql_select_db($database, $link_id); //select database catalog
$child_cat_result = mysql_query($sql, $link_id) or die (mysql_error());
//return result set to php

         echo    "menus[$i]=new Array( \n";
         $i++;

         $child_cat_count=mysql_num_rows($child_cat_result);
         $cc=0;
         while (list ($link_show, $child_cat) = mysql_fetch_row
($child_cat_result))
         {
         echo    "new Option(\"$link_show\", '$child_cat') ";
         $cc++;
                 if ($cc < $child_cat_count)
                         {
                         echo ", \n";