I believe you will need to use sin and cos to do this...

I experimented with drawing circles in javascript (sorry, it's not PHP but
you can see the concept) and ended up with this:

      for (j = 0; j <= 360; j += (360 / 10))
      {
            // x1 & y1 are offset values
            var s = x1 + radius * Math.cos (j);
            var t = y1 + radius * Math.sin (j);
            setLayer (layer_count, s, t);
            layer_count++;
      }

You would be able to work out the angle by making it a percentage of 180
degrees - although for horizontal gauges, you would need to offset it
by -90.

Hope this helps...

Mikey