Did I mention I hate math [grin]...
ok...so here we go so far...

I am passing a variable diameter of the arc ($d),
the total number of widgets possible ($n),
and the number of current widgets ($x)

so let's say $d = 100
                 $n = 100
                 $x = 50

                 $perc = $x / $n (0.50 or 50 %)

                 degree conversion = # * (180/M_PI)

                 asin($perc) converted to degrees = 30
                 acos($perc) converted to degrees = 60

my arc runs from 180 deg. to 360/0 degree, or left to right, pointing
upwards (upside down U).
i guess I am not getting my head around the numbers...is there anywhere on
the net that has a good thorough description about a process like this?

Thx.
mike