I forgot to point out another disadvantage of turning on register_globals
apart from that of security is that when you are sending a page with a
form to the same page, e.g:

<form name=whatever action=$PHP_SELF method=post>

there is a tendency to lose info..  E.g.
If you are sending text separated by spaces you only manage to
send the first word this can be overcome by using the
htmlspecialchars('value') method to evaluate value...

turning on globals is to make the coding easier but has a
good deal of disadvantages...

Spike...