I do not understand what your goal is here (more context may be helpful,
perhaps to others rather than me). So I doubt this is what you want, but
here is a guess -- no need to respond if it is unhelpful:

## test.default returns NULL if object "y" not found in **calling
environment and enclosures**;
## otherwise y.

test <- function(x){
   UseMethod("test")