The parameters in a specific call to a function are stored in a special list
which is used to move/copy data from the calling environment into the
environment created for a particular function call.

UseMethod does not act like a normal function call... it does a kind of magic
substitution of the implementation method `test.default` into the call stack
where the generic function `test` was. The argument list remains, but the
environment associated with the generic function `test` is discarded in the
process. The argument list was never actually modified in `test`... just the
environment.

You are expected to think of `test` as a placeholder... a kind of abstract
method that doesn't actually do anything other than map from a generic method
to an implementation method. Your goal of adding shared behavior this way is
not possible.

I recommend reading Advanced R in book form or online to help you navigate R
behavior like this.