I've got a complicated default value for an argument, basically a "control"
argument that's a list with a lot of defaults, and I want to figure out its
value before dispatching to a method so I don't need to have the same code
repeated at the beginning of every method. None of the default values should be
method-dependent, so I don't need or want each method to figure out the value
separately. I hope that helps!

Jay