Dear Simon and anyone else who might be interested in this:

I have studied in more detail the problem referred to in the message below, and
can confirm that R does not work well on macOS when I do graphics (plots).
I have only tested with the "abline” command, using the examples that are in
R’s help. And it does not work.
I have tested it on several computers, in Terminal and with RGUI.
I have also checked it in RStudio in macOS (it does work) and with R in Windows
(it does work).

What I have done is the following:
In the "abline" command help, the first example is:
## Setup up coordinate system (with x == y aspect ratio):
plot(c(-2,3), c(-1,5), type = "n", xlab = "x", ylab = "y", asp = 1)
## the x- and y-axis, and an integer grid
abline(h = 0, v = 0, col = "gray60")
text(1,0, "abline( h = 0 )", col = "gray60", adj = c(0, -.1))
abline(h = -1:5, v = -2:3, col = "lightgray", lty = 3)
abline(a = 1, b = 2, col = 2)
text(1,3, "abline( 1, 2 )", col = 2, adj = c(-.1, -.1))

if I run line by line, R does not do the plots (only open the Quartz window).
If I run all together, R does the plots sometimes yes and sometimes no.

I have the latest stable version of XQuartz (2.8.5)

What could be the problem?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.
María-Ángeles Casares-de-Cal

> Inicio del mensaje reenviado:
>
> De: María de los Ángeles Casares de Cal <mac...@me.com>
> Asunto: Spanish version of R, version 4.3.2, does not work
> Fecha: 14 de febrero de 2024, 20:29:09 CET
> Para: r-sig-mac@r-project.org
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a problem since I have installed the last version of R 4.3.2 (spanish
> version)
> R does not work!
>
> For example:
>
> x <- 1:20                             #this is ok
> y <- 10 + rnorm(n=20,mean=0,sd=1)     #this is ok
> plot(x,y,pch=20,col="red")            #this is ok, but I have to run some
> times this
> model <- lm(y~x)                        #this is ok
> summary(model)                        #this is ok
> abline(model)                         #R does not plot the regression line in
> the window where I have the points.
>
> (And this code in RStudio works well).
>
> (I have installed the last version of XQuartz.)
>
> I do not know what is the problem.
> Perhaps, because is the Spanish version?
> How can I install the English version?
>
> Any help?
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Best regards.