Hm, here I thought this would just be a courtesy to folks who were
interested in buying a Gus...whoops!

I'll throw in my two cents here then. I rode a Clem Smith with 2.4 knobbies
in a MTB race last weekend and didn't die AND I beat half the crowd (with a
20 minute beer/margarita brake in the middle). There were fat bikes, full
suspension squish bikes, hardtails, a couple fully rigid disc brake bikes,
etc. and everyone enjoyed their bikes for what they allowed them to do that
day. There were plenty of folks who said to me that I should be riding a
modern bike, but there were plenty more that were just happy to see folks
on their bikes having fun.

Not every design decision has to be a solution to a problem (i.e. rim
brakes on a plus sized tire bike). Sometimes you just want to try something
because its fun and enjoyable to ride and gets you 95% of the way there.

Rim brakes work, hydraulic brakes work, and everyone rides the bike they
enjoy the most for racing or just putting along on the trails. I'm just
glad there are options for so many types of riders out there.

Cheers,
Collin