I believe I have found the offender in this issue: ZoneAlarm.
I had already tried to turn it off, but since I have seen some strange
behaviour with ZoneAlarm before I now tried uninstalling it altogether.
That seem to have solved the issue.

I'm sorry for wasting your time, especially now that I remember I
probably upgraded ZoneAlarm (free version to 7.0.408) around the time
the problems started. *blush*
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions - the supportive community is
part of what makes Resin great.
Hopefully the archive copy of this thread can be of help to somebody else.

 /Mattias