Nice job on converting each switch to it's equivalent human readable format!

I used Gentoo for two decades or so.  Now using Void Linux as I have
little time for compiling.

One item that might be noteworthy for those running Gentoo, or a
compiled from source distribution, is including reporting the
CFLAGS/LDFLAGS compiler options utilized for compiling/linking the
code.

Sometimes optimizations will cause self-compiled programs surface bugs
not commonly seen,  when otherwise using the more commonly used
CFLAGS/LDFLAGS compiler options.  When software gets flaky like this,
eg. just disappearing or mysteriously quitting, usually is the main
cause.

Strace will usually catch the problem, while gdb/debugger might make
things amazingly stable.

Also, try a different file system, for ruling out the compiled (CIFS)
kernel drivers.

Some thoughts, but since you're already in the edu domain, likely
already thought of all this already!

Roger