Maurice,

You say, "knocking my ssh session offline on all terminals and it blocks ssh from being able to connect again. Even restarting sshd doesn't help".

Questions:
* Is the network stack on the affected machine still active? (Can it reach other services or systems on the network?) * If the network is NOT reachable, does restarting the network stack make a difference?

I ask because I intermittently see what seems to be a similar behavior--rsync client (3.2.7) to a remote system with rsync (3.2.3) and a 5.11.x linux kernel that occasionally terminates with the linux system losing access to the network where restarting the network stack doesn't seem to restore access and requires a reboot of the linux system in question.