On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 12:27 PM David Roe <roed.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry to have prompted another flame war, but please keep the tone polite
> Dima and Matthias.  I know that you're both frustrated at this issue being
> unresolved, but it's not appropriate to have a fight like this that goes to
> 2570 different people's inboxes, with frequent emails sniping at each other.
>
> I do think it would be valuable for other people on this list to offer some
> thoughts on whether Sage should prioritize reducing the number of
> foundational packages we offer in the short term (as Dima is advocating) or
> keeping them to help maintain support (as Matthias is advocating).  That
> becomes less possible if the tone on this thread gets out of hand.
> David

Thanks David.  I always posted a reminder about the code of conduct.
Also a reminder that https://groups.google.com/g/sage-flame is an
appropriate place for unrestrained debate.

Regarding your question David, I really like the way it is phrased,
since whether or not to support
packages is a function of the resources we have, which really is a
function of the community
and their availability to work on things.    It's not something
intrinsic to our project.  For example,
conda can support a massive number of packages, partly because they
have a massive community
that is stepping up to do it.

--
William (http://wstein.org)