On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 1:46:41 PM UTC-7 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 9:06 PM Matthias Koeppe
<matthia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. I'm not in favor of chipping away 1 package at a time in the name of
unsubstantiated, vague notions that a package is "ballast slowing down
Sage's progress".

It's not vague, it's very concrete. It has been done in the past, cf
e.g. R/rpy2, tar, etc., it can be continued just fine.

Right, each of these was separately and concretely substantiated with facts.
- tar was dropped after it was found that on all supported platforms, the
standard system tar did the job.
- R/rpy2, as I just explained in a message above.

For context for the general readership of this list:
gcc/gfortran/python3 are directly tied to what platform support we can
claim (note that gcc/gfortran are the same package except for how the
scripts are called).
I document this platform support in the release tours
(see https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki/Sage-9.8-Release-Tour#sources)
based on the tests that run on GH Actions. Changes to platform support of
the Sage distribution are tracked in
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/32074