According to the jupyter notebook documentation:

https://jupyterbook.org/en/stable/content/math.html

it should be possible to switch jupyter from using mathjax 2 to mathjax 3
by some configuration option (no clue where those configuration options
would go, and no indication is given in the tip either). I would think that
if one can switch to a different mathjax by just changing a URL in the
config, one should be able to point that at local resources (a "file:" URL
instead) to avoid any use of https, and hence hopefully the internet.

I'd be interested in hearing if someone figures out how to do that, since
on my own (system) jupyter mathjax is severely hobbled: at some point
jupyter decided to ship a stripped-down mathjax, so I don't get any
dedicated mathfont goodness; only unicode approximations. I've tried to
convince the server to use proper mathjax but failed. The jupyter server
that comes packaged with sagemath does work well -- a small case where
we're getting a benefit from sage-the-distribution.