On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 11:56 PM Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> On Thursday 15 February 2024 at 13:19:47 UTC-8 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>

> The notebook release process minifies all of its javascript code. The
> bit that sets the MathJax options is in there somewhere but good luck
> finding it.
>
> Well, the text in the tip looks more like config file content than
> javascript, so whoever wrote the tip probably didn't propose to change
> javascript. Supposedly, they had a config file in mind somewhere, which
> would not be minified. I have very limited knowledge of the configuration
> mechanics of jupyter.
>
> The snippet looks like this:
> ------------------------------------
> sphinx:
>     config:
>         mathjax_path:
> https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/mathjax@3/es5/tex-mml-chtml.js
> -----------------------------------
> (that's the URL that should change to mathjax 3. Supposedly one might be
> able to change that to a local resource)

but that's sphinx (Python), not jupyter.
jupyter is javascript, and its MathJax config is essentially a js script
which one puts into html files
inside <script></script> tags. Generation of this html happens whenever a
notebook is rendered, so there should be a template somewhere with this js
script.

In https://github.com/jupyter/notebook/blob/main/notebook/app.py#L89 one has
        mathjax_url = self.settings.get(...)

being defaulted to a CDN, if an env.var. "mathjax_url" is not set. And
after that line you see code which looks like generation of an html page.

I believe the answer is somewhere in
https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/issues/9911
(but now it's 1am here, and I'm lost there :-))