My experiments with a pure upstream jupyterlab show that this is not
reproducible there.
Namely:
1) clean up cache of your browser
2) create a fresh venv and pip install jupyterlab there, and the
corresponding mathjax package:

$ python3 -m venv foo
$. foo/bin/activate
(foo) $ pip install jupyterlab
(foo) $ pip install jupyterlab-mathjax3

3) Disconnect the internet. Launch notebook

(foo) $ jupyterlab textest.ipynb # attached

4) Try evaluating cells (they all show nice mathjax - probably from a
system package, but certainly not from a CDN)

IMHO it's yet another reason for stopping to vendor Jupyter(lab), and just
using what's readily provided by the pure upstream!

Dima