Dima mentioned "tox" [1] as an example of a "standard" package that would
benefit from being switched to a "pip" package.  The "tox" package is pure
python, so could also made a "wheel" package, which are already allowed for
standard package, for example [2].  I'm having difficultly understanding
the practical differences between a "wheel" package and a "pip" packages in
this setting.  With "wheel", the wheel is downloaded from PyPI and put in
upstream/ by various GH actions and put in the sage tarball and copied over
to the sage mirrors, whereas with "pip" it is only downloaded by pip itself
when an end-user builds Sage.  But in terms of developer effort, the only
difference I see between "wheel" and "pip" is that the former has a few
extra checksums, compare [2] and [3].  What distinctions am I missing?  Is
it that a "wheel" must be pinned to a specific release on PyPI whereas
"pip" can specify a range?

Best,

Nathan

[1] https://github.com/sagemath/sage/tree/develop/build/pkgs/tox