By default the package content would be fetched, as pip does,

Not just as pip does, but by actually calling "pip" to contact PyPI.

and that would mean the default configuration for sage would require
internet at install time.

That's right.

Then Dima's proposal implies assuming internet at install time. Right?

I asked the same question before. But Dima denied it. Whence I got
confused...