As far as I understand, the proposal is to allow sage "packages" to be
closer to more standard python prerequisites by letting them be resolved by
pip packages. By default the package content would be fetched, as pip does,
and that would mean the default configuration for sage would require
internet at install time.

I also understand that there are people who are concerned that this may not
reflect all scenarios where people want to install sagemath and they would
prefer if there is a clear method to install sagemath from a well-defined
set of archives (one big one?) that need to be transferred to the target
machine, after which the install can proceed without internet access.

Searching for "pip without internet" gives various hits. One that at least
superficially looks like a reasonable starting point:

https://thilinamad.medium.com/install-python-packages-via-pip-without-an-internet-connection-b3dee83b4c2d

but there are also stackoverflow answers that look relevant.

It looks like, with a bit of work, pip can be convinced to look at local
files to satisfy prerequisites and packages. Hence, if we keep that in mind
it seems to me that having an archive of "pip packages" would be doable if
we ensure pip gets used in a way that makes it easy to reconfigure the
place to look for prereqs. Then it may be fairly easy to make an offline
installable version of sagemath, either by packing a big tarball that
includes the pip content or by making that available in a separate ball,
with an easy switch (or perhaps we can configure pip to first look locally
and then try the internet? Or the other way around? that it could
transition gracefully between different ways of satisfying requirements).

So, perhaps we can have our pips and networkless installs too?