Regarding the proposal to allow standard packages to be pip packages, no
one really knows how much people rely on the all-in-one tarball that we
currently distribute. No one really knows how often the "make download"
option is used for people who just clone the git repo and want to do all of
their downloads at once. Since we don't know, the absolute safest course of
action is to not change anything, but maybe that's too conservative. A
pretty safe second choice would be to have "make download" also download
the relevant files for pip installation and tell pip where to find them. If
we implemented this second choice, I would support this aspect of Dima's
proposal.

My impression from Dima's posts is that he would like us to frequently not
provide version information for pip packages. Here are some of my thoughts:

As Nathan points out, this will likely lead to instability. Someone will
upgrade some component, and most of the time that will be fine, but
occasionally it will break something on some platform, and it could be
annoying to track down the cause. If this leads to Sage failing to build,
that's not great, but it would be *far worse* if Sage built and ran but
produced some mathematically incorrect answers. Being able to control all
of the versions means that our doctests are pretty robust. If we really
want to go down the road of unpinning version requirements, I propose that
we *always* pin version requirements for the mathematical components of
Sage. If Jupyter or Sphinx doesn't work right, it doesn't affect the
mathematics, but if linbox or pari don't work right (or ore_algebra, if you
want a pip package), people could be getting different answers on different
platforms and we might not know about it for a while. To maintain the
mathematical integrity of the project, we should keep very careful control
of the mathematical components of Sage.