On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 3:37 PM Marc Culler <marc.cul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that CyPari ;and CyPari2 provide a relevant example.
>
> Some background ... CyPari is a PyPi package with binary wheels which
> predates and was the starting point for Sage's cypari2 (hence the 2 in the
> name).   The basis for CyPari was Sage's pari module.  That module was
> modified to make it independent from the rest of Sage so that Sage's Pari
> support could be provided as a component of SnapPy. Binary wheels for CyPari
> are available for Windows, macOS and manylinux.  The current versions of
> those wheels are statically linked against Pari 2.15.4
>
> The binary wheel for CyPari weighs in at 7MB.  Sage's CyPari2 is available as
> a binay wheel for macOS and manylinux and the size is of the same order of
> magnitude.  When they are unpacked and installed the sizes of these python
> packages are respectively 19MB and 7.5MB (cypari2 is linked against the
> dynamic libraries libgmp and libpari, which together are about 12MB and which
> are external to the python package).  A full Sage installation is about 5
> gigabytes.  With some significant omissions and compression of the
> documentation, the macOS app squeezes that down to 3.4GB.
>
> So the size of this one significant self-contained component of sage is about
> 200 times smaller than the full sage installation and it could be made
> installable on Windows with some additional work which has already been done
> for a very closely related package.

cypari2 is indeed self-contained (with libpari and libgmp added to the
count), and provides a Pari-Python interface.
This full installation takes about 35 Mb. But it's not a relevant
example, cause it's a very limited functionality.

This is unlike sagemath-graphs, etc, which are, as I wrote, very far
from being self-contained. Many of them, with all of its dependencies
installed, will be blow up to a good half of the whole Sage, if not
more.
So there are no 10000%  savings on bandwidth here, more like 30%-50%, or less.

Dima