Dear Matthias,

If I read your proposal correctly, it is about removing review from changes
made by "maintainers" and merging things directly into develop without
waiting for the Release Manager.

Mostly, I am opposed to this because changes to the files you list are not
automatically uncontroversial, see the disputed
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37740,
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37387,
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37351,
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36726,
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36697,
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36694,
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36678, (there's probably more.)

In general, I am not sure about changing the review requirements. I know
that having to do several rounds of review can be frustrating. At the same
time, I like the idea of having somebody double check things. (I consider
waiting for the first round of review a necessary annoyance. What can be
really frustrating is waiting for the second round of review. Maybe, there
are other ways to improve this, e.g., by encouraging people to set things
to "feel free to set to positive review yourself once you addressed these
tiny things I brought up in my review.")

I also think it's fairly confusing to have different rules for different
parts of the repository. I would not mind at all to use different rules for
different repositories within the sagemath organization though. And
breaking the sage repository into smaller bits sounds like a good idea to
me anyway. (As long as all the src/sage and src/doc stays in one placeā€¦)
There are some means to reuse workflows in GitHub (I have not checked if
they are feasible for us) and one could certainly try to extract some
things into shared actions that live elsewhere. Maybe that's an approach
that is worth exploring?

julian