On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg....@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The Sage worksheet at
>>
>> http://abstract.ups.edu/sage-aata.html
>>
>> contains Sage code that was not written in a notebook.  While that
>> could be obvious if you actually looked at the file, technically I
>> think there is no way to prove just where I wrote it - notebook or
>> not.
>
> Regardless of the how you wrote this, many people would consider your
> worksheet a derived work of Sage and thus say that your current
> license (CC) violates the GPL.

If people think that then I believe they are wrong. (I haven't looked
at the worksheet but I assume it is a worksheet Rob created himself from
scratch and not containing a modification of someone elses.)

Sage functions in a simailr way that GIMP does. If I create an image in
GIMP from scratch then I own the copyright to that image. The license of GIMP,
which functions as an editor,  a viewer, has it's own plugins for
postprocessing, ...
have nothing to do with it.

In general, to function as a derived work requires that you modify a
certain number of
lines in the codebase of the software. I think the GPL FAQ has about 30-50
(I don't remember exactly). So if Rob had about 50 lines from the Sage source in
his worksheet, that would require him to license it under the GPL.