OK, Brian, you beat me to it, I was going to post this link again in
an effort to prolong this thread.  ;-)

This link points to a tutorial about how to use Sage to do group
theory.  PDF and *.sws formats.  Lots of text, but significant
sections of Sage code, including an @interact.  Is this a "text" or a
"program"?  Book or code?  No import statement anywhere - i'm not
linking to anything.  A reader/user can do what they want with it -
read it or manipulate it digitally (ie upload it into Sage).  Is this
like a book or instruction manual and I can license it as GFDL or CC,
as I choose?  Or is this a program and the FSF FAQ takes precedence
and I *must* yield to their overarching interpretation of their
license?

I claim, like Ondrej's hypothetical CD, that this is my creative work,
independent of Sage, and I can do what I want with it,  beginning with
a strict copyright.  I have not used Sage to create it, William Stein
(as titular copyright holder of Sage) has no sway, and neither does
FSF.  I have entered into no contract with Sage, Stein or the FSF in
the course of its creation, I haven't copied their "materials" or used
them in any fashion to create my tutorial.   I'm totally
independent.   Words on a page - my own thoughts and expressions - my
creative output.  Maybe I'll revoke the CC license on my next revision
and users can pay me a royalty for every web-view.

I think the notion that I am beholden to apply the GPL to a work
created with a text editor (Kate), a Python Script (written
personally) and translation tool with a Latex Public License (Tex4ht)
is absurd.  Just where does Sage's GPL license apply to this?

> http://abstract.ups.edu/sage-aata.html
> That is 1) being publicly distributed and 2) is not being released
> under the GPL.

I plan to keep it that way.

Rob