On 05/06/2009 07:44 PM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> On May 6, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Tim Lahey wrote:
>> Doesn't both Maple and Mathematica make use of GMP? I thought they
>> did.
>>
>> They aren't licensed under the GPL.
>
> GMP is LGPL, not GPL. If what Ralf said were correct (which it
> isn't), there would be no need for an LGPL at all.

Could you point me exactly to the place where I am wrong?

Suppose you have a library A that is distributed under license L.
If you write a program B that uses the library A *and* you create a
binary and distribute the binary for B then that contains A (I don't
care whether that is static or dynamic linking).

Let's agree that B without the library A is the extension E (which is
purely new code).

If you distribute B=A+E and want to keep the sources for E private then
you cannot do this if L=GPL, but you can if L=LGPL.

This settles the need for LGPL.

However, I did not describe this case. Even if L=GPL, you can distribute
a form of E in a non-source form (which is probably useless without A)
under any license you like. You might have produced that form of E
without even having any GPL software on your computer. So why would
somebody have the right to force you to distribute E under GPL? What if
A was formerly under BSD and then changed to GPL? Would that mean you
suddenly can no longer distribute E under a closed license. Why? If you
don't distribute A you don't distribute GPL code and thus have no
obligation.

Now if a person P takes your E and also gets A and in some way produces
a binary B, then P has no right to distribute B if L=GPL, since this
would require him to distribute B under GPL as well, but without the
sources for E this is clearly impossible. But of course, it is no
problem to use B for private things.

Now think of A as being Sage and E as being a notebook.

Ralf