On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 12:43 PM Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:

> On 2018-07-10 12:37, Erik Bray wrote:
> > If I want to limit
> > parallelization on a machine that I'm concurrently using for other
> > work, that's kind of a decision a human has to make.
>
> One could argue the other way around: if I want Sage to use all
> resources on the machine that it's running on, that's kind of a decision
> a human has to make. In other words: guessing is hard.
>
> The default of 1 was certainly meant as feature: the idea being that
> parallellism is something that should be enabled explicitly. A bit like
> GNU make, which uses a single process by default but optionally supports
> multi-processing.

I think this is good argument, but it's also a bit of a problem in
that @parallel is supposed to be kind of "out-of-the-box"
parallelization, and if its default is not provide any parallelization
I envision users saying "I put @parallel on my code and it didn't run
any faster" (if anything it's slower).  So I don't think 1 is a good
low-end default for that alone.  Maybe instead min(2, os.cpu_count())
if you're going to argue from that end.