On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:11 AM, Julian Rüth <julian.ru...@fsfe.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback so far. It seems that there are pros and cons to all
> of the options.
>
> What about the following: We go with the somewhat random min(8, number of
> threads) and print a warning once if "number of threads" > 8 (telling the
> user to export SAGE_NUM_THREADS)? Note that this won't affect doctests as
> SAGE_NUM_THREADS=2 in that context.
>
> That way, we provide a good experience for the typical laptop/desktop user
> and don't risk angry emails from admins after somebody convinced them to
> install Sage on their shiny server.
>
> What do you think?

Does anything in our codebase (the sage library) use a "naked" @parallel?

sage: search_src("@parallel")

I ask because in any interactive or external code I write, I'm happy
to just be explicit and pass a parameter
to @parallel with the number of cpus I want it to use.  However, if
there is code deep in Sage itself that just
uses @parallel, then this design choice we are talking about greatly
impacts how that code runs.

Looking.... there are a bunch of places in SageManifolds that use
@parallel automatically.  It looks like
they explicitly set ncpus, and they even provide a cool whole new
framework for setting such defaults!

sage-8.2/src/sage/parallel$ cat parallelism.py

class Parallelism(Singleton, SageObject):
    r"""
    Singleton class for managing the number of processes used in parallel
    computations involved in various fields.

    EXAMPLES:

    The number of processes is initialized to 1 (no parallelization) for
    each field (only tensor computations are implemented at the moment)::

        sage: Parallelism()
        Number of processes for parallelization:
         - tensor computations: 1

Anyway, having a framework for configuring how Sage uses multiple cpus
is a really good idea, and possibly relevant to people reading this
thread.  Also, please be sure to use this framework in other code that
uses @parallel.

E.g., I long ago wrote some such code:

lfunctions/zero_sums.pyx:1339:    @parallel(ncpus=NCPUS)

and of course it doesn't use this framework at all... and this code
also doesn't:

schemes/curves/zariski_vankampen.py:293:@parallel
@parallel
def braid_in_segment(f, x0, x1):
    """
    Return the braid formed by the `y` roots of ``f`` when `x` moves
    from ``x0`` to ``x1``.

What will it do?  Is there any way to even impact how it runs?

William

William (http://wstein.org)