Thanks for the feedback so far. It seems that there are pros and cons to
all of the options.

What about the following: We go with the somewhat random min(8, number of
threads) and print a warning once if "number of threads" > 8 (telling the
user to export SAGE_NUM_THREADS)? Note that this won't affect doctests as
SAGE_NUM_THREADS=2 in that context.

That way, we provide a good experience for the typical laptop/desktop user
and don't risk angry emails from admins after somebody convinced them to
install Sage on their shiny server.

What do you think?

julian

PS: I am also fine with "number of threads" as a default. But I am opposed
to "1" as that provides a poor experience for the casual user who won't dig
into the documentation to find out what's going on.