I couldn't install sage on macOS Mojave, I'm guessing it isn't compatible
with Mojave yet.

Currently it's like this: on an ArchLinux machine, install sage through
pacman, and install the sagemath kernel to my jupyterlab hub. And then
through the jupyterlab-hub I remote it and use the sagemath kernel and
typed the above commands.

I'm guessing it requires some widgets to be installed in jupyter for them
to work. Since I'm not using the Sage notebook interface but a
Jupyterlab-hub instance that has the sagemath kernel installed.