On Saturday, 28 October 2023 at 05:39:26 UTC-7 Kwankyu wrote:

I looked the Magma code in ask.sagemath. There's no problem in computing a
canonical divisor for the curve (through the attached function field).
Computing a basis of the Riemann-Roch space is no problem as well. Actually
the hard part is to construct the morphism from C to P2 from the basis.
Magma does this seamlessly. But Sage lacks this functionality (perhaps
because I did not implement it). I think, the gist of the matter is to
convert an element of the function field to a rational function of the
coordinate ring of P2.

That's actually trivially simple: if [f1,f2,f3] is the basis of your
Riemann-Roch space, you just consider the map defined by [f1:f2:f3]. So you
lift f1,f2,f3 to rational functions on the affine space that contains your
curve: you just take the rational function representation and forget the
algebraic relations between the variables. You now have rational functions
in a rational function field, so you can clear denominators there. Now you
have a rational map (described by polynomials) A^2->P^r under which the
rational image of your curve C in A^2 is the corresponding projective
image. Computing that image is the usual groebner-basis operation for
finding images of rational maps, so that's potentially quite expensive.

In practice, you know something about the denominators of the
representations of f1,f2,f3, so you can probably do a little better.

At its core, that is what the magma code does too, although perhaps it has
some smart tricks here and there to try and keep degrees in check a bit.