The most pressing problem in sage at the moment seems to be that presently
there only seem to be morphisms between schemes. You need rational maps for
this (especially from a singular model, the map to a canonical model might
only be a rational map).

"SchemeMorphism" in Sage is a map defined by rational functions between
schemes. It does not check the domain of definition. Hence it represent
mathematically rational maps rather than morphisms. I guess that the
"morphism" in "SchemeMorphism" was intended to mean morphism in category
theory rather than morphisms in scheme theory.

I might be overlooking something ... currently sage allows for the
construction of a rational map P2 -> P2, but then asking for the image of a
curve C in P2 leads to

TypeError: map must be a morphism

(which should probably be a ValueError). Perhaps the code is just
unnecessarily picky?

What is your code?