> For now, I am going to start
> with a windows forms application in vb.net or forms in OpenOffice.

I'd install SharpDevelop (
http://www.icsharpcode.net/opensource/sd/Default.aspx).  Download v4.4 if
you plan on using VB.Net, as the newer v5 doesn't support VB - only C#.
SharpDevelop is a 15 MB download, not a 4.6 GB download of Visual Studio.
I primarily write database apps using SQLite and VB.Net, so have a nice
database class 'wrapper', depending on your database skills... and what you
plan on building.
Happy to blog a beginners guide and whisk you along a SQLite coding journey.

As previously 'warned', it is a Windows only environment, so if you have
Linux friends, they won't be able to view your creations.  However,
building applications is quick and easy but immensely rewarding.  I love my
job.

Thanks,
Chris