>You spoon fed me on a previous thread how to load extensions using a
>core_init function placed at the end of the sqlite3.c code. I do have
>the series.c in my core_init so it is available to me and works fine
>in my cpp code. I don’t see how that relates to sqlite3.exe though.
>How do you get generate_series into that (to say nothing of those
>code changes)? The documentation says

shell.c is the "application" that gets linked with "sqlite3.c" SQLite Library
to create "sqlite3.exe".  You can create a file which has shell.c appended to
the end of sqlite3.c (which already has the additional series.c and core_init
appended) and compile the result as an executable to get sqlite3.exe, or you
can compile the two separately and link them together to form an sqlite3.exe
that has your additional extensions available.

>“The generate_series(START,END,STEP) table-valued
>function<https://sqlite.org/vtab.html#tabfunc2> is a loadable
>extension<https://sqlite.org/loadext.html> included in the SQLite
>source tree, and compiled into the command-line
>shell<https://sqlite.org/cli.html>.”

I don't think that the CLI includes generate_series, though you can compile
series.c as a loadable extension (its own DLL) and load it into the CLI.

>That said, I can tell from my own app that having
>SQLITE_WIN32_FILE_RANDOM defined made no difference, in fact it made
>it considerably worse for the descending query. With the memory
>flushed the descending query was taking 10 times the time it took
>with the cache unflushed. That’s up from around 4.

That is very strange indeed!

>Having widows defender turned off changed nothing.

Ok, so it is not defender.

Something however is interfering with being able to read a file properly and
that strikes me as very strange -- especially since on an SSD you should be
able to read forward-sequential, backward-sequential, and in completely random
order in about the same elapsed time ...

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.