From: Pete Carapetyan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 10:22 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Wizard Interface question

Pete Serafin wrote:

> I am trying to develop an interface for entering data for one object
> across multiple forms as in a wizard interface.  Can anyone describe the
> best way to approach the design of this type of functionality.

Doubt that there is any one right way, but webAppWriter keeps everything in
database, and uses many different forms, one for each of the CRUD operations
for
each of the three tables it maintains (App, Tables, Fields). Lots of forms,
but
each only has to do one thing.

This approach allows anyone to start or stop anywhere within the process,
and
their state is always intact and can be picked up at any stage within the
process.

Oddly enough, this same thing is true of each of the applications it
produces,
though I never thought of them as Wizard forms before. To be a wizard, all
it
takes is some result that happens after the data is sucked in.

It would seem that this is much more scalable than sticking everything in a
session, but it was also a lot easier for me to do this way. It seems to be
the
way Expresso is designed to work.  Plus, users would go nuts if they had to
get
everything done in a session.

Does it work ? Has about 9 months without a problem, though only since
posting on
the struts resource page has it been getting heavy use.

> I was
> thinking that the actionforms would be stored in the user session until
> a submit to database or a cancel is requested.  Is this the best way to
> handle this?  Thanks,
>
> Pete Serafin

> For additional commands, e-mail:

Pete Carapetyan
http://datafundamentals.com
Java Development Services

Open standards technology for commercial profitability