I have a jsp that displays details of a user. The display is in a form that
can also be used to modify user details. Access to this page is via a url
like http://xyz.com/userDetails.do?userID=123. However the userid is not a
editable field and I use a hidden variable to pass this information back to
the server fo updates. On validation, if I return to the input page, the
hidden variable is lost. So I use request.setAttribute("userID", "123") in
the perform method of the action before redirecting to set the information
back.

However because of this I have to have this conditional at the top of my jsp

String userID = request.getParameter("userID");
if (userID == null){
        userID = (String) request.getAttribute("userID");
}

This is because the logic:present tag just uses the getParameter command and
returns false even if the required string is an attribute of the request.
I know I can change the source, but it would be difficult to maintain as I
have to remember this fact everytime we do an upgrade.

Any suggestions on how to implement this better without using scriptlets.

-JC