Ok I just installed Synaptic on 8.10 which gave me a couple more gnome goodies. It now allows me to type so I can log in.

However it's pretty much identical behavior as 9.04 now. I can type and move the mouse though. On 9.04 it's a full black screen, but on 8.10 it's a brown screen and the top left corner is a black terminal session. I think 9.04 changed the default background color from brown to black....

Aaron Wilson wrote:
  I think something is missing?

I followed the instructions and got 9.04 up and running but gdm kept failing on log in. Did a clean install and did the following

 sudo apt-get install libldap-2.4-2 libmotif3 module-assistant tk8.4 tomcat5.5 sun-java6-jre \
                      ldap-utils dhcp3-server nscd gawk iputils-ping pdksh unzip alien libgdbm3 \
                      libx11-6 libfreetype6 libsasl2-2 libxt6 zlib1g gdm devscripts xkb-data-legacy \
                      xfonts-base atftpd xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-cyrillic wget ed

That get's me a gdm greeter screen but when I attempt to login the screen goes completely black. I can see the mouse cursor but can't move it and at the top left hand corner it shows aa...@srssubuntu: as though i'm in a full screen terminal session. Though it's a really small font that I can tell means x is sort of working correctly. I can't type either.

If I do the same thing for Ubuntu 8.10 server and go to the same step I get a gdm greeter screen on which i can see the mouse cursor, but I can not type or move the mouse. Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 Desktop releases both work beautifully on this same hardware setup.

Man I feel like a noob right now  :)

Been using Ubuntu since the 5.x series but I've never messed with Server and what it takes to get gdm up and running on it.

Aaron

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
Hi Aaron,

Today Aaron Wilson wrote:

Trying to follow the wiki instructions for Ubuntu 8.10 since it appears others
have gotten it to work including the author of the wiki

Right of the bat though I run into problem with the apt-get command when
xkb-data-legacy can't be found in the repos.

Package xkb-data-legacy is not available, but is referred to by another
package.This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package xkb-data-legacy has no installation candidate

it seems that this is not required ... things worked fine which
whatever kbd data gets installed by jaunty ...

cheers
tobi

I even edited my apt sources and uncommented the repos that were commented out
in case that deb is in one of those repos.

Maybe I'll have to do an install of 8.10 server and get it configured and do
an apt dist-upgrade?

I also checked launchpad in case someone had setup a ppa for that but I didn't
see any thing.

Oh well I guess that's what I get for trying this so soon on an unsupported
release  :)

Aaron

Aaron Wilson
Ernie Ball, Inc.
I.T. Department
aa...@ernieball.com
(805)544-7726

NOTICE: This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this e-mail
or its contents is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply mail and destroy the
original and all copies of the original message.