At 03:03 PM 8/24/2009, you wrote:
Although I'm not sure the French message was actually about Pidgin,

It doesn't appear to be. Babelfish rough translation sounds like a problem with a webcam not working.

the message also needs to make it clear the list is in English, or, better, should be localised to reference a list in the appropriate language.

Not sure what you mean by 'the message' .. but - my .02:

I go to a website. Website is in English. I click on a link. Link is in English. Click on another link, link is in English. I subscribe to a mailing list. Message confirming joining of the mailing list is in English. English. English. English.

I think it's a given that the mailing list is in ... Oh, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... English.

I would think it's silly to have to put on a website, which is in English, next to instructions to joining a mailing list that's in English, that the mailing list is in English.

But the main problem is a lot of people don't read.

"MXIT Problems? DO NOT POST THEM TO THIS LIST. CLICK HERE."

Yet.....

So I'd wager putting up a message that the mailing list is in English would have little, if no effect. :)