Sorry, my bad - on closer inspection this is not the case for 404
exceptions. Not sure why, this would be a useful feature!

The only place that gets the error message is the php error_log
function, which means in theory you could retrieve the error using
error_get_last(). This is not wise though, as there could be other
errors in the meantime!

It would certainly be a useful feature for the message that is passed
to be stored in the parameter holder or elsewhere - maybe submit a
feature request for this.

In the meantime, unless anyone else can think of something, the only
thing I can suggest is that you override the sf404Exception class to
store the message for you.