Hello again:-)

 > >    Receivers SHOULD, to be consistent with the format described in
 > >    RFC3164, accept TAGs that terminate with a single colon, without a
 > >    space following it. Then the colon is both the last character of
 > >    that TAG, and the field separator with the next field (MSG).
 >
 > I think you must somehow revert back to my wording. Above you say that
 > SP MUST terminate the tag. If you allow colon to terminate, too (I agree
 > on this need), you must also allow it - otherwise it is
 > confusing/inconsistent.

With the syntax I tried to express how a TAG SHOULD be. Senders should
use that, and receivers should expect it.

However, the real world  sometime differs. Like existing
syslog(d)'s. Which may (as rfc3164 describes) not use a SP to separat
field and use ":" to terminate.

The quoted part describes how a reciever shoul deal those "not
standard" logmessages.

Note: we can not acccept colon as a terminator. E.g. Windows used it
as in "C:\PATH\PROG[main, minor]".

By describing it, (vaguely) I leave it to the implementor how to
handle it exactly. When implementing for Unix-only this "requirement"
may get another priority the in a mainly Windows one.

This request some quirks to implement, no a stanbdard (I think)

--ALbert

--
ALbert Mietus
        Send prive mail to:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]