Truth? Arrogance and a false assumption that technical writers can't
possibly "know everything."

I've had programmers tell me to write what they tell me and not worry about
understanding the material.

"Humor me...explain it to me and let me try to write it and let's see how it
goes..."

After I did this with one particularly "difficult" engineer - he came back
with one of the greatest compliments I ever received, "you know, you really
made that simple."

"Yeah," I told him, "that's what we do."

The best response to the SME is to say - give me a chance - let me show you
why a technical writer SHOULD know everything about the functionality...or
rather, I agree - we only need to know what the user has to know. If you've
programmed something behind the scenes that it complex but beyond the reach
of the end-user, fine...but if in the end, you want your end-user (even when
the end-user is another programmer) to understand, you have to give us a
shot at it too. It works...

HTH,
Paula

Paula R. Stern