Gina Greisinger asked for information on getting telecommute position,
stating that her background includes over 8 years of experience as a senior
technical writer and instructional designer with an emphasis in software
documentation and training, and that she is an expert in a tool and
Information Mapping, and that she really enjoys writing, designing and
building documentation and training projects. Oh yeah, she's also a poet.

Dan Goldstein wrote: ...My unverified impression of those threads
is that most of us who telecommute (partially or fully) do so at
companies where we used to be fully onsite....

Well Gina, for the most part Dan is correct; however, there are exceptions.
I never wrote for either company I currently contract with. I got these jobs
because I was at the right place at the right time and had a portfolio ready
that addressed their specific needs. One company needed a hardware/software
writer...someone who could jump in with little handholding and describe
extremely complex electromechanical wafer processing systems. Two service
manuals later, I was made the publications manager (still as a contractor).
I have recently added another writer (telecommuter) to my staff (that makes
two) because she had the chip manufacturing background in addition to DITA.

My second contract deals with documenting and developing a context-sensitive
help for a technology transfer tool for a quasi-government entity. A
background in web design and previous efforts creating similar products for
BLM-Alaska got this job.

Remember, even if you get the contracts, keeping them is another story,
especially in these difficult economic times. I've been able to keep them
because I work hard at consistently delivering high quality material. I'm
also extremely flexible when priorities change and I try to always have a
good sense of humor. Nobody likes a grumpy contractor.

BTW...Most of us have a passion for writing, or we would be doing something
else to put food on the table.

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al.ge...@geistassociates.com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/