On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 09:46 -0700, Tim Flink wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 13:26:54 -0500 (EST)
> Kamil Paral <kpa...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > > I feel that for something as important as system upgrade, we should
> > > provide a better level of quality and assurance for upgrading
> > > across 2 releases. Currently we have no criterion and testing it is
> > > just an afterthought, not even tracked anywhere. I'd like to amend
> > > the existing criterion to include N-2 release as well, i.e.:
> > >
> > > "For each one of the release-blocking package sets, it must be
> > > possible to successfully complete an upgrade from a fully updated
> > > installation of any of the two previous stable Fedora releases with
> > > that package set installed." (language corrections very welcome)
> >
> > During QA meeting, people were generally in favor of this idea. I was
> > asked to check with Will Woods, system-upgrade maintainer. I did
> > that, and he has no objections. He says it's no extra work for him
> > and that the most work is needed from package maintainers when
> > designing dependencies, scriptlets, etc. This is something to
> > consider as well, but I think we implicitly want all packages to be
> > upgradable forward (even when skipping a release). And I don't
> > remember any issues with this lately.
> >
> > Does someone have some additional concerns about this?
>
> I'm +1 on N-2 upgrades blocking N's release. It'd be nice to have more
> automated upgrade tests, maybe with a few different configs but that's
> more into the details.

As of ~5 minutes ago, openQA tests both N-1 and N-2 upgrades; it does
'minimal' and 'desktop' upgrades on x86_64, and just 'desktop' on i686.
Note that up until now, openQA's F24 upgrade tests have actually been
N-2 upgrades, because we have to manually rebuild the base install
images and edit the openQA test config to update the upgrade tests, and
we hadn't done that yet (so it was still using F22 base images for the
upgrade tests). I've now bumped the original upgrade tests to F23 and
added new 'upgrade_2' tests for N-2, which are currently set to F22 of
course.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey