On Wed, 2015-11-25 at 16:51 -0500, Richard Ryniker wrote:
> > A month is a pretty long time in Fedora development
>
> True, but a month is only available if the problem is reported on day 1.
> If it takes a week or two for a user to report a problem, that interval
> lessens the remaining time to EOL.

On the other other hand, you can test upgrades at any time, with dnf-
system-upgrade. We're already testing 22-24 upgrades daily in openQA at
present.

> On the other hand, there is no prohibition against a fix after EOL.

There is, in fact; you can't push updates for EOL releases, it's simply
disabled by policy.

> We also do not know there will be serious problems.  We know it is
> impossible to test more than a miniscule fraction of possible upgrade
> cases.  That does not mean there will be lots of bugs, it means we have
> little confidence the test plan has found most bugs.  We might say there
> is no reason to believe experience with the current release will be any
> worse than the last.

This is basically what I'm saying: we can't actually make any
guarantees about *most* upgrade experiences, and N-2 upgrades aren't
really some special case which is massively more likely to go wrong
than any other. Will we have people who have issues doing N-2 upgrades?
Probably, sure. Do we have people who have issues doing N-1 upgrades?
yep! This isn't something new. We *do*, I think, mention in all the
relevant documentation that upgrades are complex operations and success
is never guaranteed, that's not what 'supported' means, especially in
this context.

> As far as I know, this is the first time "dnf system-upgrade" has been
> generally available for a release-skip upgrade.  It is way too early to
> have any historical perspective.

F23 is the first release where the dnf-system-upgrade mechanism has
been available, yes. But it's really not hugely different from fedup -
it's just an even lighter implementation of the same basic idea (just
boot to a minimal environment and run a dnf transaction). The
experience of fedup should be a reasonable indicator of future dnf-
system-upgrade experiences.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey