On 19/01/2021 12:20, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-01-19 at 10:50 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> A large computer vendor with whom we have a friendly relationship would like
>> to update the image they're shipping on their systems so that 1) new users
>> don't have quite so many updates immediately and 2) auiu newer kernel helps
>> with some upcoming things *vague vague handwavy vague*.
>>
>> I can think of four possibilities:
>>
>> 1. Sure, use the live-respins!
>>
>> 2. The live-respins are unofficial, but we have run [this specific
>>    workstation iso] through our standard validation tests and we
>>    recommend it for your use.
>>
>> 3. Use the netinstall and choose "apply updates" (or whatever that option is
>>    called) when making your distribution image.
>>
>> 4. Uh, sorry, we got nothin'.
>>

>> In all cases, they will run through their own internal testing and
>> validation. And, because of calendar things, they'd really love an answer
>> before the 26th of this month, which I know is short notice.
>>
>> Of the above, I think #2 is the best, but requires someone other than me to
>> do significant work. Sooooo, I'm raising it here. :)
>
> So we kicked this around in the internal team meeting today, and we
> have a thought and a question:
>
> 1. We're not too keen on just using the respins as-is. They're really
> pretty unofficial: they're not built by infra, and they're not built
> the same way we build 'official' images. That's fine for something we
> just kinda let sit there and say "hey use it if you want to", but it's
> not really appropriate for something a Large Computer Vendor would be
> deploying on thousands of boxes sold to the public. It seems better to
> be deploying actually-official Fedora bits on those.
>
> 2. What's the expected cadence, here? Are they wanting a respin every
> week or maybe one per cycle? Because that seems likely to affect what
> we do. If it's just a once-per-cycle thing, we could maybe just have
> releng manually fire a post-release compose with a live image profile
> in it, and I can manually schedule openQA tests for that compose.
>
> Thanks!

I think it's fine to note that this request is from Lenovo...and
guessing which platform it's for shouldn't be a stretch of the imagination.

Some background: We need the latest kernel/alsa/pulse/libfprint and
their dependencies for supporting the new 2021 HW - and as we'll be
(hopefully) releasing before F34 is available we're looking for
F33+updates and the best way to provide that in a way that works for the
community and our preload process.

We'll definitely be doing testing on it - from my experience rather a
lot of testing. We've been doing a bunch of that already (and as an
aside so far it's looking good - still some issues to resolve but
they're more in the firmware space).

I'm confirming with the team (I don't do much myself with preloads) but
I think the Live image gives us everything we need so is a good
candidate - but of course thumbs up from the Fedora community would be
great and recommendations are appreciated.

My aim is to keep the image as "Fedora official" as possible. We stand
by the fact that we don't release modified Fedora - there aren't Lenovo
add-ins. Everything must come from the Fedora repository - but it's just
we need the most recent updates and hope to deliver that cleanly.

Release cadence is once. We just can't update our preload images that
often - there's a long test cycle, and energy certification that goes
with that image. It's one of the reasons the X1C8 is still shipping with
Fedora32, and P1G3 and P15 (soon!) will be with F33 for a long time. The
only reason to update would be a critical bug that couldn't be fixed
with an update once the platform was received.

We're happy to go with whatever the community recommends - and my
apologies for the short time frame. It's always going to be a little bit
of a balancing act as fixes come in upstream at the last minute and I
want the release that goes on the HW to be as good as it can possibly be.

Hope that makes sense. Holler if I've missed anything - my aim is not to
dump more work on you guys either :)

Mark