On 20/01/2021 11:11, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 6:44 PM Mark Pearson <markpear...@lenovo.com
> <mailto:markpear...@lenovo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Release cadence is once. We just can't update our preload images that
>     often - there's a long test cycle, and energy certification that goes
>     with that image. It's one of the reasons the X1C8 is still shipping with
>     Fedora32, and P1G3 and P15 (soon!) will be with F33 for a long time. The
>     only reason to update would be a critical bug that couldn't be fixed
>     with an update once the platform was received.
>

> If the cadence is once in a long time (related to new hardware
> introductions, so possibly once a year or similar), I think the best
> approach here is to have releng manually trigger an F33 Workstation Live
> image compose using the current updates repo. Assuming it's not a
> problem for them. We (the QA) can then trigger an OpenQA test run on it,
> create the release validation test matrices for it, and even ask the
> community in large to perform some manual tests if they have time. I
> believe some of us would devote some time to make sure at least the
> basics work correctly. I'm not sure if all the plumbing for this one-off
> compose is ready (in fedfind, relval, openqa and wherever else needed),
> but Adam will know more.
>
> I don't want to just repeat Adam's words, but I'd like to stress out
> that from the security perspective, such a compose should really be
> created using the proper Fedora Infra tooling (or Lenovo itself using
> official Fedora bits). I don't want to belittle the people standing
> behind the unofficial Live respins, they are doing a great and useful
> work, but if this is going to be shipped preinstalled to thousands of
> customers, the whole process should be as verifiable as with our
> official releases.

Thanks Kamil,

My preference would be to have a build that comes from Fedora with
Fedora's blessing rather than something we put together :) Partly so we
don't screw it up but also as part of the "we don't mess with the Fedora
image" thing - if we get the image from you then it reinforces that.

I know our timelines right now are quite tight - I'd like to get the
image into test before Chinese New Year happens - though I'm looking at
the calendar and wondering how optimistic I'm being.... How big a deal
is creating an official compose? Is it days/weeks/months? At the moment
I'd like it by start of Feb (with a bit of wriggle room)

As Matthew mentioned - 5.10.8 is coming out soon and whether that ties
into this too? Any recommendations from the community as to which fixes
are important etc happy to take on board. The HW testing we've done so
far looks good - but that's not the whole story.

Thanks!
Mark