Kudu currently relies on local storage on a POSIX file system. Right now there
is no support for S3, which would be interesting but is non-trivial in certain
ways (particularly if we wanted to rely on S3's replication and disable Kudu's
app-level replication).

I would suggest using only either EXT4 or XFS file systems for production
deployments as of Kudu 1.3, in a JBOD configuration, with one SSD per machine
for the WAL and with the data disks on either SATA or SSD drives depending on
the workload. Anything else is untested AFAIK.

As for Alluxio, I haven't heard of people using it for permanent storage and
since Kudu has its own block cache I don't think it would really help with
caching. Also I don't recall Tachyon providing POSIX semantics.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone