Hello Peter,

On Mon, 25 Sept 2023 at 13:56, Peter Boy <p...@boy-digital.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I installed OpenMeetings on a Fedora F38 Server (new VM) following the
> Installation Guide by Alvaro Bustos at
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27838216/Installation%20OpenMeetings%207.1.0%20on%20Fedora%2038.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1683788437000&api=v2
>
> And the corresponding tomcat34 and certificate guide.
>
> The system starts, I can log in and enter one of the (public) predefined
> rooms.
>

> But I get a similar issue as user Thomas Scholzen in March this year:
>
> I see all the user in a room by a placeholder graphics. But the video is only
> displayed for each local user on their own machine. All other users are only
> reprensented by a placeholder image. The admin can obviously perform all
> admin tasks, as far as I could notice.
>
> I get the same message on screen: "Media server connection for user XXX is
> failed, will try to re-connect“ as described in the post mentioned above.

This is most probably caused by missing/misconfigured TURN server

> In the Kurento container I found:
> ocketTransport.cpp:203:initWebSocket: WebSocket server (ws://) listening on
> address '::', port 8888
> ocketTransport.cpp:89:WebSocketTransport: Secure WebSocket server (wss://)
> not enabled.      <========
> 259:main: Kurento Media Server started
> STUN server not configured! NAT traversal requires STUN or TURN
> <======
> TURN relay server not configured! NAT traversal requires STUN or TURN.
> <======

these can be ignored (but some users reports TURN inside KMS can be useful)

> In log/cotrun/turnserver.log I found
> 0: (106922): WARNING: cannot find certificate file: turn_server_cert.pem (1)
> 0: (106922): WARNING: cannot start TLS and DTLS listeners because certificate
> file is not set properly
> 0: (106922): WARNING: cannot find private key file: turn_server_pkey.pem (1)
> 0: (106922): WARNING: cannot start TLS and DTLS listeners because private key
> file is not set properly
> 0: (106922): INFO: Certificate file found: //turn_server_cert.pem
> 0: (106922): INFO: Private key file found: //turn_server_pkey.pem
> 0: (106922): WARNING: NO EXPLICIT LISTENER ADDRESS(ES) ARE CONFIGURED
>
> The installation guide didn’t mention to configure a certificate in Coturn.
> I’m not that familiar with the technical details of webrtc. But as far as I
> read the docs a while ago, WebRTC/Video always needs a secure connection? So
> I’m wondering.

Shame on me :(
I never configured secure TURN server :(

Have used non-secured all the time :(

> My questions are:
>
> a) How can I tackle this issue?

you can even
- use non-secured TURN
- OR set-up secure one and share details here :))

> b) Is there a demo VM available that I can run either from an USB stick or
> just install in KVM/Libvirt, and use as a kind of role model? (The iso in the
> tutorial section is obviously für CD/DVD only and can’t boot from USB memory
> stick).

public demo is available here: https://demo-openmeetings.apache.org/openmeetings
You can also use Dockerized OM
https://github.com/openmeetings/openmeetings-docker/
BUT it requires external TURN :(

> c) is there an Ansible playbook for OpenMeetings Installation anywhere (my
> search was unsuccessful)?

Alvaro's instructions are most detailed one :(
I, personally, use the process "described" in
https://github.com/openmeetings/openmeetings-docker/

Most probably I'll create another Docker for Ubuntu 22 .... (Maybe with KMS)

> d) Another more general question is:
>
> The starting point for my exploration of OpenMeeting is a search for a stable
> video conferencing system that we can introduce into Fedora Server
> as a new "specifically supported service".  If I can manage to get a stable
> and reproducible test installation, I would then have to compile OpenMeetings
> including Kurento from source and build a corresponding RPM. Kurento is
> likely to be particularly elaborate. But there was at least a CentOS 7 rpm.
> Then it should actually be possible with Fedora, too.
>
> Do you consider that a feasible project? Or is the OpenMeetings build system
> too complex and highly idiosyncratic? I would certainly have some more
> questions than I do have now. Would that be feasible with the mailing list or
> does it blow up the resources?

OM build is as simple as `mvn clean install` :)
KMS build might be more complicated ... :(

I will be happy to answer your questions :)

> Thanks
> --
> Peter Boy
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy
> p...@fedoraproject.org
>
> Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST /UTC+2)
>
> Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
> Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
> Java developer and enthusiast

Maxim