I doubt Amazon uses a priori for this, but who knows. Usually you want
"also bought" functionality, which is a form of similar-item
computation. But you don't want to favor items that are simply
frequently purchased in general.

You probably want to look at pairs of items that co-occur in purchase
histories unusually frequently by looking at (log) likelihood ratios,
which is a straightforward item similarity computation.